UFP Gamma

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for Gamma UFP Members

+5
Noconi
CodyFury
Chuggs
Kaironus
Archer
9 posters

Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct

Archer
    Petty Officer, First Class

Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct Empty Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct

Post  Archer Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:34 pm

This topic will be for a discussion of the expectations of conduct for a StarFleet Officer. Please add your comments to this thread as to what those expectations should be. Thanks.

Last edited by Archer on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Archer

Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct Empty officer expectations

Post  Archer Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:38 pm

StarFleet Officers:

Treat others with respect
    Treat lower ranking officers with respect
    Treat higher ranking officers with respect
    Make ethical decisions
    Avoid all behavior unbecoming an officer
    Lead by example
    Kaironus
    Master Chief Petty Officer
    Master Chief Petty Officer

Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct Empty Re: Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct

Post  Kaironus Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Well, I would say that it should not be acceptable that officers use curse words in the announcements. In RL, I have no problems with swear words, but an officer's use of those words in announcements makes them look weak.
    Chuggs
    Chuggs
    Petty Officer, Second Class

Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct Empty Re: Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct

Post  Chuggs Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:08 pm

We need to rise above the petty squabbles and be careful not to be drawn into heated discussions/arguments. We should all be keeping a level head at all times. The people under our command look to us to keep control and lead.

We also need to keep our heads about us when we think someone has done something wrong. No sense in dragging anyone through the mud just because we disagree with something they do.

If we have something that needs to be said or addressed it needs to be kept in PM. No sense in getting the guild involved. We are not looking for attention, just resolution.
    CodyFury
    Crewman Apprentice
    Crewman Apprentice

Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct Empty Officer Conduct

Post  CodyFury Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:09 pm

I agree with the above sentiments, which can be summed up as: treat others with respect.

I feel however that our officer training has gone beyond this. The Federation is a grand institution built upon a clear moral and ethical code that transcends even the principles of respect. I'll explain using two words:

- Grace
    - Mercy

Grace is getting something you do not deserve. For example, if you were rude to someone in the PinkBunny guild, yet they still assist you when your bases are occupied by the DirtyFlamingo guild.

Mercy is not getting what you DO deserve. For example, if you shamelessly occupy someone's base while their mobile fleet was out protecting one of your bases... then you very well deserve to in turn get your bases occupied.

This is not to say that this should be our policy per se in politics and warfare, but it SHOULD serve as an example of how we should treat each other. If someone looses control of their temper and says something rude, be kind to them. This is grace. If someone wronged you in the past, DO NOT HARBOR ILL FEELINGS towards them especially if they ask for forgiveness.

Forgiveness is also an important aspect. I realize this must sound a lot like Sunday school, but many fail to realize what a respectable thing it is to ask for forgiveness. I have often found that the weak minded remain stubborn and refuse to admit they are/were wrong. This has lead to the great fall of many notorious leaders. Pride will undo you, do not indulge it. If you can admit you were wrong, then you are respectable and can be trusted.

Lastly... for those officers we admire the most, they have always possessed as certain air of Dignity. Not just the politicians who have done great good, but even the most excellent tacticians and fleet admirals. A dignity and poise that spoke strength in and of itself.

An inner strength that proceeds from the heart is what will cause the UFP to prevail. Let the other guilds deal with bickering, in fighting, chaos, immaturity, and unguided passions. The United Federation of Planets stands on principles that do not allow us to venture into such unprofitable behaviors.

We speak so much of making profitable attacks. For those who think making a verbal attack against another member is profitable either personally or for the whole guild you are sorely mistaken.

To prevent future outbursts, I feel that the possibility of court martial should be explored amongst the admiralty, especially for those members who threaten others or speak seditiously.

Okay, by now plenty are probably going "blah blah blah" so I'll end on this note:

Let us be above reproach.
    Let us rise to the occasion.
    Let us stand our from the rest.

Peace and Strength,
    Midshipman Furies
    Noconi

Post  Noconi Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:22 pm

I cant believe we have to have this discussion! Treat others with respect, and if you have a problem, put it in a pm, if you get no resolution that way, then forward your concerns to command. Personal threats should never be made or tolerated. This is a game, it is suppose to be fun. Here lately, I cringe before I get online, wondering what was gonna blow up today. I get enough of that in RL.
    servant
    Crewman Recruit
    Crewman Recruit

Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct Empty code of conduct

Post  servant Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:10 pm

If I may, there are a number of available documents for review by any branch of leadership that serve to enhance its efficiency. Some of these I believe to be extensive in whole and may become overwhelming for our purposes here at UFP. However, there are also an appropriate number of guides to choose from that could be described as brief and may very well suite our staff here at UFP. In the least, we may find that the summaries, synopsyes, 'top ten' and/or outlines of these doctrines have just what we need.

There is rarely a need for negative critism in cultivating a better understanding of our purpose. The officers here at UFP all have strengths and weaknesses as do we. It is up to the body to help accelerate their strengths and educate their weaknesses. It is up to their peers to help with the tools best suited that officer so that the energy of the body is funneled properly. This in turn will lead to the success of our leadership and the organization.

Ladies, Gentlemen, there is nothing more important that we can take with us from our AE experience than just that, an experience. Let this be one in which we grow and learn from even it is 'just for fun'. We are at another threshold in our growth. First, there was infatuation with the physical nature of the device, (the AE.) Next, there came the obsession with the beauty or our creation, (the guild, UFP.) Now my friends begins the mastering cycle of our growth, (structure, fleet and econ quantites, pacts, etc.) This is a time when we are most vulnerable in our weaknesses. But if we have the will to overpower the negativity and failures, we will become stronger than even our most formidable enemies through this wisdom.

I was once told that this game is nothing more than a culturally diverse social community expressing wisdom through gameplay. So let us become wise in our undertaking here and mature in spirit, mind and body. Yes, let us become the victors through the things that we see and learn here. It is enough for now that we remain intact in the face of our own innernost enemy, inmaturity.

forever....UFP
    servant
    dougal
    Crewman Recruit
    Crewman Recruit

Expectations for StarFleet Officers Conduct Empty :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Post  dougal Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:08 pm

i dont get it, i'm not an officer, i've never been an officer on any of the 7 servers (i have played UFP on them all).

does this mean that i am inferior?
    does this mean that i must look up to all of you officers?

NO on both counts.

I respect and follow good officers. I ignore snotty nosed, jumped little punk who swear on the announcements board.

I am not impressed gentlemen

Dougal

flower flower flower flower flower flower flower
    Caeruleus
    Caeruleus
    Deputy Director
    Deputy Director

Post  Caeruleus Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:11 pm

I still don't know what happened today, but since I've been the cause of conflict before (though not this time) I'll give my opinion.

If you have a problem address it though pms, not on the board, or if you want to bring it up for debate put it on the forum. That's what its for.
    Be polite at all times please. There's no need for name calling, threats, or anything of that sort. It does nothing but inflame tensions and cause further conflict.
    If someone really makes you mad, just calm down. It's just a game. No need to freak out over a game.
    Empress Sudhara
    Empress Sudhara
    Crewman Apprentice
    Crewman Apprentice

Post  Empress Sudhara Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Read and duly noted.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:01 am